The Old Songs, The Great Songs

 The Old Songs, The Great Songs

   Compiled by Danny C. Wash                                                                                                   


 
                                        

The following are the first verses of these much loved old hymns contained in hymnals of the Church.

1. Blessed Assurance
Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine,
O what a foretaste of glory divine.
Heir of salvation purchase of God.
Born of the Spirit, wash’d in His blood.
This is my story, this is my song, praising
my Saviour all the day long.

2. Rock of Ages
Rock of Ages, cleft for me, let me hide 
myself in Thee. Let the water and
the blood, from thy wounded side which  
it flowed, be of sin the double cure. Save 
from wrath and make me pure.

3. Amazing Grace
Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me. I once was
lost but now am found, was blind but now I see.

4. Softly and Tenderly
Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling, calling 
for you and me. See, on the portals He’s 
waiting and watching, watching for you 
and me. Come home, come home, Ye who 
are weary come home; earnestly, tenderly, 
Jesus is calling, calling, O sinner, come home.

5. Standing on the Promises
Standing on the promises of Christ my King,
Through  eternal ages let His praises ring. Glory
in the highest, I will shout and sing, standing on
the promises of God. Standing, standing, standing
on the promises of God, my Saviour, standing,
standing, I’m standing on the promises of God.

6. Bringing in the Sheaves
Sowing in the morning, sowing seeds of kindness, 
sowing in the noon-tide and the dewey eves. Waiting 
for the harvest, and the time of reaping, we shall
come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves. Bringing
in the sheaves, bringing in the sheaves, we shall
come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves.

7. When We All Get to Heaven
Sing the wondrous love of Jesus, sing His mercy
and His grace; in the mansions bright and blessed,
He’ll prepare for us a place. When we all get to 
heaven, what a day of rejoicing that will be, when 
we all see Jesus we’ll sing and shout the victory.

8. He Lives
I serve a risen Saviour, He’s in the world today;
I know that He is living, whatever men may say; 
I see His hand of mercy, I hear His voice of cheer, 
and just the time I need Him He’s always near
He lives, He lives, Christ Jesus lives today, 
He walks with me and talks with me along 
life’s narrow way, He lives, He lives salvation 
to impart. You ask me how I know He lives;
He lives within my heart.

9. The Solid Rock
My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus'
blood and righteousness, I dare not trust the
sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus' name.
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand; all other 
ground is sinking sand, all other ground is
sinking sand.

10. It Is Well with My Soul
When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
when sorrows like sea billows roll; whatever
my lot, Thou hast taught me to say, It is well,
it is well with my soul. It is well with my soul.

11. At the Cross
Alas, and did my Saviour bleed and did my
Sovereign die? Would He devote that sacred 
head for sinners such as I? At the cross, at the
cross where I first saw the light, and the
burden of my heart rolled away, It was there
by faith I received my sight and now I am 
happy all the day.

12. The Old Rugged Cross
On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
the emblem of suffering and shame; and I love
that old cross where the dearest and best for
a world of lost sinners was slain. So I’ll cherish
the old rugged cross till my trophies at last I lay 
down; I will cling to the old rugged cross, and
exchange it some day for a crown.

13. Love Lifted me
I was sinking deep in sin, far from the peaceful
shore, very deeply stained within, sinking to rise
no more. But the Master of the sea heard my
despairing cry, from the waters lifted me, now
safe am I. Love lifted me, love lifted me, when
nothing else could help, love lifted me.

14. When the Roll Is Called up Yonder
When the trumpet of the Lord shall sound, and
time shall be no more, and the morning breaks
eternal, bright, and fair; when the saved of earth
shall gather over on the other shore, and the roll
is called up yonder, I’ll be there. When the roll
is called up yon---der, when the roll is called up
yon--der, when the roll is called up yon--der, 
when the roll is called up yonder, I’ll be there.

15. All Hail the Power of Jesus’ Name

All hail the power of Jesus’ name. Let angels
prostrate fall; bring forth the royal diadem, 
and crown Him, crown Him, crown Him, 
crown Him Lord of all.

16. Jesus Is Tenderly Calling
Jesus is tenderly calling thee home, calling
today, calling today; why from the sunshine
of love wilt thou roam farther and farther
away. Calling today, calling today, Jesus
is calling, is tenderly calling today.

17. Just as I Am

Just as I am, without one plea, but that Thy
blood was shed for me, and that Thou
bidd’st me come to Thee, O Lamb of God
I come. I come.

18. Leaning on the Everlasting Arms
What a fellowship, what a joy divine, leaning
on the everlasting arms. What a blessedness
what a peace is mine. Leaning on the everlasting
arms. Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from
all alarms; leaning, leaning, leaning on the 
everlasting arms.

19. Nothing But the Blood 
What can wash away my sin? Nothing but the
blood of Jesus. What can make me whole 
again? Nothing but the blood of Jesus. Oh. 
precious is the flow that makes me white as
snow; no other fount I know, nothing but 
the blood of Jesus.

20. Saved, Saved, Saved
I’ve found a friend who is all to me, His love 
is ever true; I love to tell how He lifted me, and
what His grace can do for you.. Saved...by His
power divine, Saved...to new life sublime. Life
now is sweet and my joy is complete for I’m
saved, saved, saved!

Authors of song words by number:
1. Fanny Crosby  2. Augustus Toplady  3. John Newton
4. Will Thompson  5.  Kelso Carter  6. Knowles Shaw
7.  Ella Hewitt  8. Alfred Ackley  9. Edward Mote
10. Horatio Spafford  11. Isaac Watts & Ralph Hudson
12. George Bennard  13. James Rowe  
14. James Black  15. Edward Perronet & John Rippon
16. Fanny Crosby 17. Charlotte Elliott 18. Elisha Hoffman
19. Robert Lowry 20. Jack Scholfield

Popular posts from this blog

The Lord Is Very Near

God’s Mystery

An Email to a Friend About What Christians Believe