The Fun House

The Fun House

 by Danny C. Wash

Standing on the precipice of older age,

it is with some fear and trembling

that I peer ahead with dimming eyes

into the unknown and unmet years.

Before, when I've looked at the year ahead

and then when I am well into it, I think

how all of this was just unexpected.

It’s like walking through a fun house

at the carnival and all kinds of things

in the dark jump out and scare you -

clowns and monsters screaming.

I don’t know what I expected but 

usually I think, “it wasn’t this.”

But, sometimes what jumps out at 

you is a blessing, a pleasant blessing.

A call from an old friend with kind word.

A grandchild’s smile and big hug before

they grow too old for that and before they 

recognize your faults and weaknesses.

If you take a flashlight into the fun house

and shine it on the scary things, they lose

their scariness and we realize they are nothing

to be afraid of but just a small distraction.

Don’t forget your flashlight next year

and remember your batteries (or as the

old people used to call them “bat trees”)

But if it is something real and bad, throw

the flashlight at it and run like hell or at 

my age it might be, limp like heck.

Popular posts from this blog

The Lord Is Very Near

God’s Mystery

An Email to a Friend About What Christians Believe