The Storm

                            

The Storm

      by Danny C. Wash

It was a dark and stormy night,

as the familiar cliched opening

line of many mystery books go.

Well, it was a dark and stormy night,

but it had nothing to do with the weather.

The storm was in my mind as I thought

about all the worrisome wind and darkness 

of the questions and fear surrounding me.

In a storm in the atmosphere, you try to find shelter

and I thought the same might be true in my mind.

The shelter is usually deep in the middle, so I 

looked inside and deep in my mind for peace

but there was none, the storm roared even more.

Accusations, “what ifs,” and, “if only’s” blew

even harder. And then, the water from the mental 

rain begin to rise against the foundations of my life.

The flood water washed away all my foundation

of money, things, and the worldly protections.

Down I went into the whirlpool of sadness, loss,

fear of the future, and trust in my human remedies.

And then as I felt like I was going under for the 

third time, and it was a hopeless situation; a lifeline

was thrown over my shoulder to grab onto. What

was this? It was like a searchlight coming on in my

head. It was a story from the Bible I remembered 

from my childhood that my Sunday School teacher

read to us about a person, like me, who built his house 

upon a sand foundation that was washed away with 

the flood waters and then another person who built upon 

a rock foundation.* That first person was me; I built my life 

house on sand and it was being washed away in this storm. 

It was becoming clear that I needed a rock for my life. And 

I remembered from the story that Jesus was that rock and was 

where I was told I needed to rebuild my life. But, where do I 

start? I learned that it starts with a giving in and giving up with 

my building of my life and realizing that Jesus has laid the 

foundation and the building is guided and enabled by Him. I 

learned that I was to call upon the name of the Lord Jesus and He 

would save me. It’s being saved by grace alone through faith alone 

in Jesus Christ alone. And the building of my life on Him after that

is in the same way. Grace, faith, and Christ Jesus alone and then

I would no longer be alone but with and in Jesus Christ!

* “Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.”  Matthew 7: 24-27

Popular posts from this blog

The Lord Is Very Near

God’s Mystery

An Email to a Friend About What Christians Believe