The Mirror

 

The Mirror  

 by Danny C. Wash                                                                 

Mirror, mirror on the wall who is the fairest of them all?

The mirror laughs and laughs until it nearly cracks,

And says, “person, oh you person in my thrall,

you’re as fair as a muddy old wall.

Crash, crash went the lying mirror onto the floor

I will look at you no more

Out you go, you faithless (you know the rhymed word),

I will look and see you no more.

When you reach a “certain age”

The mirror becomes an old sage.

One that will not lie and tells us the truth

And says, "you have lost your youth.”

Oh, you truthful enemy that steals my joy

When we are no longer a young girl or boy.

Could I but yet for one moment more

See the young person I was once before.

But no, truth must out

and leave me to shout

“Come back, my youthful face

where have you gone and left this disgrace.”

Who is that unfamiliar visage

In the mirror, who is staring at me.

The melting and falling face that I see.

It is the face of the older me, the me

I must accept so that I can be free

From regret at what I must now be

And what I must accept as the new me.

Mirror, mirror on the wall who now is the fairest of them all?

“Perhaps, not of them all” is the reply, “but as to your place,

You can be the best you can be with your inner face.

If you will but accept what is now and will stand tall

Your inner face can be as handsome and

Beautiful as them all.”

Popular posts from this blog

The Lord Is Very Near

God’s Mystery

An Email to a Friend About What Christians Believe