Ask, Seek, Knock

 Ask, Seek, Knock                                          
    by Danny C. Wash
    
Ask, and it shall be given to you; seek, and you shall find; 
knock, and it shall be opened to you. For everyone who asks 
receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it 
shall be opened
.” Matthew 7:7-8.

As I sat at my desk & wondered what this poem should be about,
I decided to follow the verse and “ask” to receive an answer.
When, it didn’t come, I decided to seek to see if I could “find.”
I decided to seek by reading the next four verses:

Or what man is there among you, when his son shall ask 
him for a loaf will give him a stone
.” Now that makes perfect
sense.  I am a “son” so I asked for a poem about these verses, 
so I wouldn’t expect to get a nursery rhyme about animals.

Or if he shall ask for a fish, he will not give him a snake, will he?”
That’s good news because I don’t like snakes but fish are okay.
The verse doesn’t say that I will get a loaf (of bread), just not a snake, 
which is something that could hurt me (and is symbolic of the devil). 
So, I shouldn’t expect something bad or evil, but maybe not exactly 
what I asked.  Perhaps, something else I need, even though bread is a need. 
Reading on:

If you then being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, 
how much more shall your Father who is in heaven give what is good to 
those who ask Him
?” Wait, I’m “evil?” Okay, I agree, I am, without You.
So, if I ask, seek, and knock, I will get a gift. I was wanting a poem. But, “knock,” 
have I knocked? Knocking indicates there is a closed door which someone on
the other side needs to open. I remember that there is another place in the Bible 
that talks about knocking. Yes, it’s in the book of Revelation, chapter 3 verse 20: 

“Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if any one hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him, and will dine with him, and he with Me.” Wow, Jesus is telling me that He is also knocking. He is knocking on a door and if I get His symbolism, He is referring to the door to my heart on which He is knocking.  If I will open the door, He will come in and dine with me.That’s quite an invitation, if you really think about it.  What is the spiritual meal on which He wants to dine with me?  

The apostle John also recorded in his Gospel book that Jesus was feeding the multitude with a loaf of bread and a fish; all being multiplied miraculously. You see how all these clues and symbols link together in seeking and knocking. Jesus said, “I am the bread of life, he who comes to Me shall not hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst.” He further said, “I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he shall live forever; and the bread also which I shall give for the life of the world is My Flesh.”

Obviously, the meal I will dine with Him will be His body and His blood, spiritually speaking of course.  From, the book of John, we know Jesus used the figure of His body as being what we need to eat, which spiritually is His word from the Bible interpreted to us from the Holy Spirit.  His blood that He invites us to drink is what the blood represents and is His gift of our forgiveness of sin because of His blood. Jesus said, “...unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no [eternal resurrection] life in you. He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal [resurrection] life; and I will raise him up on the last day. For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink. He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in Him.” You see how the scriptures tie together, like clues in the search for the answer. Jesus is knocking in Revelation chapter 3 and says if you open the door, He will come in and dine with you.  And when you dine together, you are eating His flesh, which is Him- His word and you are drinking His blood, which is Him-His forgiveness of your sins.  Jesus also said in John, to further tie it together, that “It is the [Holy] Spirit who gives [eternal resurrection] life, the flesh profits nothing, the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.” Also, John records, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word [Jesus] was God [in the Trinity].”

After this journey, it appears that the gift for which I need to “ask, seek, and knock” is simply Jesus, Himself, and all He represents for us. Jesus is the answer to everything I may ask, seek, knock about, and every question I may ask.  And the final link in this search is 1Corinthians 1:30 that says, “But by His [God’s] doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification and redemption.”

I have the final answer to my asking, seeking, and knocking- Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior and then this poem.

Popular posts from this blog

The Lord Is Very Near

God’s Mystery

An Email to a Friend About What Christians Believe